The abundance of online content and the increasing sophistication of today’s B2B buyers make engaging customers ever more challenging. Salespeople need to get in front of customers early in the buying process, demonstrate high levels of expertise and behave more like educators; allowing them to build sustainable and trusted relationships with prospects and customers. The key to making this happen: micro marketing.
Micro marketing is a strategy that targets specific customers, who have very unique needs, through account-based marketing (ABM). This effort is about narrowing down groups of potential customers, identifying their needs, particular characteristics, demands, and preferences, then providing them with the right information and a solution. You can think about it as a ‘surgical operation’.
So why would salespeople be interested in moving towards mini-marketing? Here are a few reasons:
1. It allows sales to connect with prospects early - ABM enables salespeople to share account-specific content and branded messaging with key decision-makers before the selling conversation formally begins. This early communication builds a relationship from the beginning, and sets the tone for the “official sales process”.
2. Helps salespeople become more consultative and value-driven - Marketing level communications allow Sales to engage and educate buyers through content marketing techniques. This approach provides insight into what’s troubling customers, what problems’ solutions they are looking for, and what motivates them to make buying decisions. With these insights, sales reps can be smart in early reach outs and advanced interactions with their prospective customers.
3. Enables sales to run highly targeted prospecting campaigns - Micro marketing helps improve consistency across sales and marketing messages. When an organization provides consistent messaging within each channel, organizations can run highly-targeted ABM campaigns. By consistently sharing relevant content with targeted accounts on the marketing channels that they prefer, the value proposition is more likely to resonate with prospects.
Wondering how to implement the micro-marketing strategies? Here are 3 surefire ways to achieve this goal:
1. Leveraging the power of content - Content is mighty when it comes to connecting with people, and thanks to the boom in social media network, curating great content should no longer be a problem. Furthermore, relevant content, especially if it’s educational and leverages 3rd party sources, is a value add for customers. Salespeople can significantly increase their engagement quotient via sharing powerful content with their customer base.
2. Using data for personalization – Data driven marketing is about extracting and analyzing a bunch of data and deriving meaningful conclusions from it. The aim is to primarily identify certain patterns regarding human behavior, their buying decision, habits, etc.; and using that data to improve business metrics and increase bottom line. With that information, you can create and distribute content on a much more personal level, delivering the most relevant content to your audience members the way they want it, when they want it.
3. Social Selling - The finest way for sales professionals to become mini marketers is to use social selling. This strategy is somewhat similar to the content marketing strategies. Whether you talk about marketing at micro level or macro level, social selling is equally effective. It gives people a chance to connect more closely with customers. It keeps both sellers as well as customers aware of each other by opening clear lines of engagement. Social selling can be done via regularly sharing content, quotes, and using engaging stuff as undertones for sales and promotional campaigns.
But you may ask, how do you get Sales “on board” with using these marketing techniques? Tune in to our next blog post: Why should sales care about ABM?
To reach today’s buyers, salespeople need to take a more customer-centric approach to the sales cycle. By becoming mini-marketers, salespeople are able to get the right message in front of buyers at the right time.